An Interview with Mr. Oluwaseyi Dara


Interviewer: Ogbonlaiye Oluwaseyi (Director of Programs, YALI Network, Kwara)

Interviewee: Oluwaseyi Dara (Past (and first) State Coordinator, YALI Network, Kwara)

__________________________________________

INTERVIEWER: We have been hearing about YALI? Can you tell us what YALI is all about? 

SEYI DARA: As the name implies, YALI is Young African Leaders Initiative. It is a U.S. programme meant to spur growth amongst African youths in the area of business, civic leadership, and public leadership. So over the years, I think YALI started around 2010. They did a pilot phase of it, and then the fellowship kick-started in 2014. That is the Mandela Washington fellowship. So YALI has 3 umbrellas. The Mandela Washington Fellowship is an exchange program where you travel out of the country for those that are selected. Then, the Regional Leadership Center. Each zone, each region, has that. The West region is in Accra, Ghana. Then, is southern, which is in South Africa. Then another one in the north. So we have regions like that. Also, the broad YALI network is for those that are not opportune to either be part of the RLC or MWF. The network covers them so that at least those that have benefited from the RLC or MWF, can come together and see how they can bring down the experience and training, to step it down to those that are not privileged. The YALI network is also there for whether you are a Fellow, an RLC Fellow or MWF Fellow, you can participate. I think now we are almost in virtually all the states in Nigeria.

INTERVIEWER: Is YALI a political organisation?

SEYI DARA: No, YALI is not a political organisation. The interest of YALI is to see how to foster growth amongst African youths. How to network with each other, the major core value of YALI is to see how to make our community, and our country better. So it’s not a matter of political affiliation, there are no sentiments, no religious bias, no ethnicity. The main goal is how to make our community better. 

INTERVIEWER: How did YALI come up in Kwara State?

SEYI DARA: Well. I think in 2015 when I was selected for the fellowship. I always say I remember that word during the end of the MWF in the US when Obama said it belongs to us, that we should own it and see how we can also help others. Since then, it’s always ringing in my memory, in my brain, and as of 2015, there was nothing like all these youthful organizations where you can meet people. If there are, maybe individual vision and the likes. So in 2015 when we came back, I think we did YALI rollout in that same 2015, for those that want to apply for MWF. Since then I have been having this urge, how can we start this thing? It was so difficult because I was the only fellow in 2015. In 2016, there was another fellow, making 2, then I discussed with him. When he came back from the fellowship, he was like, it's a good thing. He discussed with the embassy how God will have it, in 2017, we had another two fellows making 4. I discussed with them when they came back from the States, Badejoko and Folashade, we discussed and I got to that we have some other RLC fellows also, Sukurat Adelodun. She was the only one I knew. The first meeting that we held was in her house. We went to her house to see how we can involve everyone and as long as the network is not just MWF. So we planned on how to inaugurate YALI we discussed how to go about the inauguration of the YALI network and everything. So there's this guy, he is not a Fellow, he is not an RLC Fellow but he keyed into it from the beginning when I told him about what I was thinking. He was once our program coordinator, Gbenga Olojede, he keyed into it. He was part of all our meetings. So, I think in 2017 December that was when we eventually kicked off YALI. The MWF AF President came from Lagos, in person of Segun Fatunde and Adepeju Jaiyeoba. She was one of the people that spurred me because whenever she posts on Facebook and she is asked about Kwara State she just writes my name and tags me, she's one of those people who push me to see how we can start this thing. She also came from Lagos, I invited her to come at least. She has a brother and I said you too come. It was inaugurated around November 2017 and after the inauguration, I never planned to be the state coordinator. I just feel let us just start this thing but at the end of the day, everybody was like you are the one so you just have to. I was the coordinator, and Folashade was made the deputy coordinator. Gbenga Olojede was made the secretary. Sukurat was given an office then, along the line, after the first project that we did, for the first project it wasn't everybody that was available. It was the Clean Kwara project, which was the first project that we did in February 2018 and most of them were not around. It has always been one excuse or the other. Building it was very challenging. At a point, there was no executive so to say, so we had to like bring other people on board. People that we see are active in the network. The network hasn't kicked off. They came on board and towards the end of 2018, Lara also came to town that was when we were doing the Clean Up Kwara Project. I don't know how I even met her but one way or another we got connected and I involved her in the program and then we started doing it She started volunteering. We now really had the executives, real executives in the following year. All the fellows and the other guys were busy. The following year we now really had executives that we were able to know from the beginning of the year to the end. That was when Dr Okikiola also came on board and I think we have Lara as the program director. It was that year that we had something. The first two years were just really building the foundation and the structure. I thank God for what YALI is now.

INTERVIEWER: Thank you, sir. So what was the idea behind Founding YALI Kwara?
 
SEYI DARA: Well for me I think one of my Core values, goals or understanding it, is to see how we can make people, impact more people’s lives, like this ownership of a thing, how can we come together forgetting this is my thing, that is your thing. How can we collaborate, come together and see how to make the life of people better. That was my driving force because most people think when you talk about YALI, there is a fund somewhere. So, it was, even so, sacrificial the first year. A lot of my personal funding because you have to make provisions one way or the other. It is a total sacrifice. Volunteerism is a sacrificial business. The goal was to see how we can impact our community, how we can also impact the younger ones, with the little experience that we have, and how can we step it down to the younger ones for their life to become better. Those opportunities that we have how can we make them open to them. Those are the core values of YALI. To develop people, youth development, and capacity development. The main goal is to see how we can impact the community and how we can make the life of others better and how to make us more exposed professionally and in everything that we do.
 
INTERVIEWER: You said most of the funding was from your pocket. I want to ask, is the funding still from your money? Or someone is funding it? Or where exactly is the funding for the activities coming from?
 
SEYI DARA: Well, sometimes I can't see YALI as an NGO because it is a community of leaders. It's difficult saying YALI is an NGO because it is a flagship programme, an initiative of an organisation. Funding has been a major challenge except if you have serious aspiration or serious drive and then collective an understanding of your team members it is difficult to fund YALI. The first year, I could remember the only funding was when Peju was going. She said she was going to send 20,000 Naira and she sent it after some months that you would need money and I remember that was the first money we use for our Clean Kwara Projects and some other additional stuff personal influence. When we talk about funds, it comes in diverse ways. Sometimes you might not be taking raw cash. When you use your Influence, the People around you, it’s part of the funding. I remember a project then, the car that we used, I had to use my influence, the truck and all. Funding might not be monetary but sometimes you have to spend the raw too. I remember there was a project we did in schools then. We have to ask ourselves then, the executives and the volunteers we put everything together to make it happen. We never asked anybody during my tenure, never asked the general house that they should contribute. It was only one project that we asked people to contribute but on rare occasions like all these projects would do around in schools, after we contributed we add to it. It has mostly been about sacrificial giving. For someone like me, I find it difficult to ask people for money, I find it too difficult so it has always been sacrificial giving. Look at your network and see how you can make use of the little resources that you have to do something good.
 
INTERVIEWER: Thank you, Sir. So I want to ask with all that you have said, how do you see YALI Kwara now? The state of YALI Kwara how does it make you feel with all the sacrifices that you have done over time?
 
SEYI DARA: I can say I'm very happy because I remembered the day that it was inaugurated I remember someone thank God I think there was a day, and I always remember that word. He said it at the inauguration, it was inaugurated at Emmanuel Baptist Church hall that year and he was like hope this won't be like all these organisations they just started and at the end of the day after one year everything will shut down. I used that word as one of my driving forces that no matter what this thing won’t die. So I can say I give glory to God that something that started just like a seed that was sown, now when you talk about youth organisations or Gatherings that are devoid of sentiments, I can use that word because if I have my own NGO, I have my goal. Everybody has their own goal, but this is a volunteering platform for even if you have an NGO it doesn't stop you from volunteering. It is a broader network beyond sentiments and everything. It is thriving day by day. It is moving and it's joyful. The past administration was exceptional and this one's too. I can say so far so good the journey is good. I know that the major constraint has been the funding but so far so good the association is growing. YALI network is growing.
 
INTERVIEWER: Does YALI contribute to your growth as a person in any way? Can you state? What are the impacts of YALI on Kwara and its people?
 
SEYI DARA: I think that's one of the major reasons why sometimes it's difficult for maybe people like MWF and the likes to be part of YALI. A number of times I’ve discussed even with the national body how to see how the MWF can be working with the YALI network. Because when I applied then, there was no YALI, it's just like that for most people. I applied and was selected based on what I'm doing and not because of YALI. Only a few of us want to have that I want to come back. I can decide that if I come back I want I don't want to do YALI, I just want to push my projects or the like. I can say in the area of Leadership, YALI has helped me because it is one of those organisations that I can say that outside of my business and everything that I do that I'm actively involved. It has helped me in that aspect even know more youths, knowing more people in the community of our young leaders. People doing well in their organisations doing different things. It has opened me up to some of these things. Under the platform of YALI was when I had to do this election stuff in 2019 with CDD to coordinate Kwara state. All these things are capacity-building indirectly because they added value to me. I can say YALI is, for those who are committed to it there's no way it won’t help them to grow. It depends on your goals for growth. Is it leadership? Depending on your time but at least the leadership aspect of it you cannot rule it out because if you have to lead people, you have to understand people and you know the way you relate with A is different from the way you relate with B. YALI has helped in that aspect, leadership and how to bring people together despite different beliefs, different understanding and different backgrounds. How can we come together to see how we can make our States better, our country and even the world. So, YALI has helped.
 
INTERVIEWER: As the first State coordinator of YALI, what are the challenges that you faced and overcame the challenges during the administration and the Solutions to them?
 
SEYI DARA: There are so many. The major challenge is people's commitment and funding but I think my personality has helped in one way. After all, there are some challenges I was able to serve as Foundation president that the YALI members are now benefiting from. Things like where to use, all these things which are major of existence, meeting points, these are things that God has helped me use my influence to see how we can get all that. For other things, project funding is a major thing and it's difficult for people to commit the resources. I won't lie to you; it is always very difficult for people to commit their resources. Most people don't see it and there's something called crowdfunding, if you understand it very well we will be doing much. Is it 500 Naira is it 200 or 300 Naira? Before you know it when you contribute your input, your time, and the little resources that are not monetary, you will do something big. People don't see it that way. My challenge is people always prefer that this is my project let me spend on it but when it comes to YALI, it's YALI now, it is the US. People find it difficult and that is one of those things that harness your skills. Thinking beyond personal gain that is it. For most of our leaders, there's been a stage where they have to think beyond personal gain. Whether I profit from it or not I don't care. Mine is giving out value, meeting people's needs and adding value to life. I know that's one of the major challenges that people have what benefits am I getting for this? Some people will not contribute to it and they're expecting benefits. I can say that has been the major constraint, funding for executing projects, to do so many things that have been the major issue. Then maybe membership committed membership. You can have over 300 people on the platform but how many people are committed to whatever projects are going on. So that has been the major issue. I filled out a form that was about feedback and one of those things that we need to do now talking to the executive is to see how we can also create a platform like a mentorship class, or internship among ourselves so that those that are younger in the business and other aspects amongst ourselves those that already have organisations, that have things going, to see how we can be collaborating with them please can you mental this person and can this person volunteer for your organisation. All these things would also harness skills for our members, for those in the university, will harness their skills. Instead of the ASUU strike, sitting at home, you can volunteer with those who are doing things that are related to your field. It is one of those causes that we need to start thinking on to see how we can add those values beyond just coming together, doing different programs, both online, adding value in the physical aspect of it, I am a content writer, I have an organisation let me come and volunteer for you in content. Continues to build your CV too. When people read it and ask who is doing this, they will say that this person is doing it for my organisation. So that is how we can grow, I think it's one of those things we can see how we can input to our activities.
 
INTERVIEWER: What qualities would you advise that we YALIANS should focus on building as young leaders?
 
SEYI DARA: I think one key thing is integrity. Integrity is very key in any aspect of leadership. Let people know you for who you are. I always tell people I'm an unrepentant YALIAN. Wherever you get to, people should be able to say that this is the type of person you are. It shouldn't be, I'm not sure. You need to let people know your stand always. We are meant to disagree and agree. As a young person, you can't rule out integrity as a leader. Then servant leadership. In my organisation, it is something I do. If I want my co-workers to do some stuff and they're not responding well I just start doing it and before you know they are interested. You need to forget that Pinnacle system, come down to everybody and teach them how to do it. When you teach them how to do it definitely, they will key into it. As young leaders, servant leadership is very key to our leadership qualities. Another thing is sacrifice, you have to be sacrificial. It's very important. You cannot run YALI and not be sacrificial there's no way. Whether as an executive or as a member. But if you are waiting that you always want to do things in your comfort you won't do anything, you won't do any Projects. So it's very sacrificial because I always say this is the only organisation that I know that you do anything without any gain so to say, maybe monetary. If you volunteer for other organisations, they can say they're giving you stipends. But when it comes to YALI, the only project I think we did during her tenure was the Naija vote, we got funding from the embassy and it wasn't direct from the embassy. It was in collaboration with YALI. That was the only time, in Naija votes that we did in 2019 that we were ever funded. The rest has been running around raising funds. So it's good as young leaders to build integrity, and openness when you're the only things that belong to everybody whether you are on your top or anything let us be accountable. We need to be open and accountable to everybody every member. If it’s your project you may not be accountable financially or otherwise. You are the one spending your money. Nobody knows about it but when it involves A is bringing in money, B is bringing in money organisation is bringing in money, everything has to be opened. Even as executives during my own tenure we did not have money because money was not coming in. But if money is coming in, we want to do projects it's very essential that even after the project this is the number of what we were able to raise through the members, through a partnership with a different organisation, through Grant writing and this is what we spent and this is what is left. That is very key for an organisation like this to survive because as time goes on people might be thinking that how are they spending. So they need to know the members need to know how money is coming, and who are those giving this money. Openness and accountability are very essential
 
INTERVIEWER: Thank you so much for your time. What advice do you have for other members, the younger ones, those planning to join YALI and others outside, those planning to join after reading this interview?
 
SEYI DARA: Well for those that wish to be part of YALI, one thing they need to know is that YALI is for all. There's no hierarchy in YALI. It is a matter of relationship. YALI is open to everybody. Everybody has equal rights in the Then when you're coming understand why you want to be a part of YALI.its very essential. Know why you want to be a part of YALI. That's when you can know the kind of value you can get from it. People are joining because maybe my friend is part of it, me too I want to join and you're part of the platform. You have to be intentional as a youth about it. I want to join this organisation because of these reasons and make that your goal so that when the time comes for we need volunteers because you understand that ok I want to harness this skill, I want to do this, I want to do that, you'll be looking out for things like that. There was a time were trying to work on it, during my tenure, they did last year but it's not efficient while trying to categorise people's interest under business, under Civic. It's important to also categorise in that way so that when we are doing programs there are programs that are general for all and there are programs that we need to be specific. As you plan general programs, we also need to be planning programs that are targeted to a set of people. That is beyond maybe content writing you know those things, skills like I am into business these are challenges, bring people that can talk in that regard. If it's going to be general they might be division, you go this. When people see the value I think that's another major thing now. Because for somebody like me now, there was a time I just feel like no more value is being added to me as a YALIAN except I'm giving back. I see YALI as a project for me. Let me just give back what I have, have not received. If I want to receive I know where to go to receive it. At a point, when we get to that level, let me just give back. There are some organisations that when you get to a level in your career I want to take from them. We can also make it YALI in such a way that no matter your level, we can also feed you and meet your needs. We have to be innovative and creative so I think that's just it.
 
INTERVIEWER: Thank you very much, we appreciate you
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YALI NETWORK KWARA ESSAY COMPETITION

Your Emotional Health,Is As Important As the Physical.

Novelty